Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index Backroads Touring - Kansas
Coordinate Rides & Share Information

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My "Day after the Stampede" Adventure

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> 2012 Flint Hills Stampede - June 29 - July 1, 2012
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dontiac
Very Active Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: My "Day after the Stampede" Adventure Reply with quote

As much fun as I had on the Stampede with our fearless leader Britt the one spot we didn't hit that I wanted to see was Teter Rock. I had never been there so Britt drew me a map.
Sunday morning I gassed up the KLR and headed out. Road conditions were great and the morning air had not heated up too bad yet. Coming up on one curve I could see a truck coming the other way at a pretty good clip so I stopped instead of meeting him on the bend. After the truck passed I saw a box turtle crossing the road who must have just barely escaped a sucker punch from Mr. Goodyear. I picked him up and sat him on the other side of the road and then poured some cold water over his shell. I think that freaked him out more than refreshed him but you're welcome just the same.
I arrived at Teter Rock and laid my helmet and jacket on the bike while I took in the scenery and snapped photos of rock, bike , horses and with help from the camera timer, the rider.
Next stop was the headstone in the pasture within the little iron fence. The story Britt told was that it was a cowboy who was struck by a bolt of lighting on a stormy night as he watched over the herd back in the day. I got my jacket and helmet back on again and headed back to the Blue Stem Lodge.
When I dismounted back at at room I discovered that the jacket pocket assigned to hold my wallet was unzipped and empty! YOU IDIOT!!! Next thing thru my mind was "at least the truck has enough gas to get home". OK, it just HAS to be at Teter Rock or the headstone. When I laid my jacket over the seat at one of those spots it fell out, I know it. I cleaned up and loaded my things and strapped the bike in the bed of the truck and was leaving right at check out time.
First I hit the store where I filled gas and nobody had found it there so I went back to Teter Rock and the only leather I found there was still attached to cows. Off to the headstone and search the ditch where I had parked. Another dissappointment. Maybe I better check the curve where I had socialized with the turtle. Nope. Back to the headstone again.
I don't always keep the cell phone with me 24-7 but I was now in case somebody found the wallet. My number is on my card in there. Reception is spotty out there and it never rang but all of a sudden it said I have voicemail. Could it be?? Of course I have no bars now and I drove to the top of the hill leading into Teter Rock and after several trys and dropped calls I get the message. One of Kansas's great, hard working, nation feeding, honest, God loving farmers has found my wallet in the road! He's about 5 miles from me hauling water to his cattle. He's ready to leave but will wait on me. I haul butt down there and he hands it to me and tells me it was in the middle of the road just east of that intersection down there. His old Ford water truck started sputtering then so he had to run before it died and before I found out exactly where it was laying.
When I examinded it I found that my Drivers License, Dillions card and cash had all not made it back to me. Now let me say that in no way, shape or form do I believe that the farmer kept my money. With the type of wallet it is I could easily see that if it fell to the road at 60 MPH on a windy day that paper items would scatter. Besides, there was that extra $20 folded up tucked away that was still there as well as credit/debit cards.
I went down to the corner and walked along the road hoping to find anything of mine. Winds kicking out of the south pretty good so cash could be 3 miles away easily but maybe I could find my DL. Nope. There was somthing that caught my eye however. Peeking out of the woods I see an old Buick logo. "Valve in Head" is the slogan on it and I know that dates back to the 50's. I think I'm looking at a shed constructed out of old Buick dealership signs. Now, I'm a car guy with a pretty good automobilia collection. My main interest is in Pontiacs as I have 3, 67 GTO, 69 Firebird conv and 71 Grand Prix. Hence my screen name, Dontiac = Don + Pontiac. Automotive signs, cans, clocks and misc line my garage walls and I think this could be a nice addition. I go up and knock at the house and when the man answers I introduce myself and tell him my tale of woe and how I came to see the Buick shed and that I collect that sort of thing. He tells me "that was here when I bought the place 3 years ago, if you want it you can have it". WOW, I can't belive my luck and tell him "that's real nice of you, I hadn't expected it to be free". Now he wants to know what the stuff is worth and I tell him it all depends upon condition and I'll have to get a closer look. He say's just go thru that gate and take a look. When I get to it I find that it's not a shed but that someone had built a feeder out of old signs. The ends are both Buick, the top is Miller High Life beer and the middle is 2 Pontiac signs from the 50's!!!! I am now grinning ear to ear at what I have found. They are all in rough shape but these are hard to find and expensive for nice ones. I already have it figured out how I can disassemble this and get it stacked in next to the bike.
When I get back up to the house he's outside just hanging up the phone and tells me "I called my buddy that I bought the place from and he said unless I'm getting serious money for it that he could use a feeder and would like to have it back". ARRRRGH!! So I ask for his definition of serious money and it's $500. No, they are not worth that to me. We wound out just chatting for about 15 minutes and I left him my card and said if his buddy changed his mind I would give him $200 for it. I never heard from him and I was curious so a month later I drove back up there and it has not moved. He was not home that day but I left him a note that I was still interested. Nothing yet but at least it was still there.
So it was a heck of a rollercoaster morning. HAD A GOOD RIDE! lost my wallet GOT THE WALLET BACK! moneys gone GUY GAVE ME SOME COOL STUFF! he took it away.
AT least in my new DL photo I'm wearing a brand new Flint Hills Stampede shirt!
71 Honda CB500
Bird Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your story , it was interesting.
The same day my buddy lost his wallet going into Teter rock and didn't know he had lost it until he found it himself as he left Teter rock.

ktm 690 enduro
r1200gs
crf 230f
Greg Mitchell
Hyper Active Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Dontiac. Sounds like you had more of an Adventure weekend than you had planned.

1989 Transalp "Beauty"
2005 KTM 950 Adventure "Beast"
JasonMurray68

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Dontiac since I have had Pontiac's all my life.I had my Dad's 65 GTO but now I still have my 69 GTO Judge since 1987.

2012 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere (Raven)
2002 Yamaha Royal Star Midnight Venture
Dontiac
Very Active Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I told the story at the Pontiac Club meeting too and they liked it. Here's what it looks like. It has patina for sure but I like it.
Jason, do you ever go to the Pontiac Uprising event in Oct?

71 Honda CB500
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> 2012 Flint Hills Stampede - June 29 - July 1, 2012 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: