Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index Backroads Touring - Kansas
Coordinate Rides & Share Information

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intermediate Ride Report - Greg Gann

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> 2013 Flint Hills Stampede - June 14-16, 2013
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grooster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Intermediate Ride Report - Greg Gann Reply with quote

The 2013 Stampede was a complete hoot! I was lucky enough to serve as ride leader for one of the best rounded group of riders – William Brentlinger (2007 KLR650), John Melton (1979 XR500), Richard Myer (2001 R1150GS Adv), Harold Rogers (2001 XR650R), Thomas Rogers (2009 XR650L), & Gary Russell (2009 KLR650). Special thanks to Phil Denk for providing maps and sage advice on great places to ride! William served as primary sweep, trading with Thomas as needed. Ours was an intermediate group and took a faster pace throughout the day. We covered 173.8 miles by my odometer’s reckoning. A good day's ride!

My very clean 1988 KLR650 (8300 actual miles) started the morning out by not starting. It would crank but not fire. I made a panic call to Roger, then Chris to let them know I was in trouble. The battery was in need of a jump at this point. Ron Grundy loaned me a set of jumper cables still new in the box. I peeled saddlebags, guards, side covers, & seat as fast as I could to get to the battery. Luckily, just as I finished clearing a path to the battery for the cables, I spied a suitable jumper. I don’t recall his name but he rode a KLR so we know he had to be a good guy! A quick touch of the cables and push of the magic start button and all was well again! I made it to Phillip’s Cabin in time to nervously have an apple and get advice from Phil, who had stepped up to lead should I not make it. Luckily, that was the only bad luck we faced. The ’88 was completely reliable the remainder of the weekend.

I gave the group a quick review of our planned route and everyone gave a thumbs up. We saddled up and headed for Teter Rock. Having never been there before, I led everyone right past it. When I saw Cassody Lake in the distance I figured it was time to stop and check the map. We spun around and headed back for the rock. When we arrived at the rock, a good sized herd of cattle lumbered past us. The view from up top was fantastic complete with a cool breeze, too. I started to get everyone together for a picture but stopped when I heard “If Roger was here he’d have us in front of the rock for a picture…” I settled for a panoramic view. Good call! Then things began to get crowded with first one patrol then another rolled up. I gave the sign to saddle up and we blew out of there.

The plan was to go to Texaco Hill then follow the trail past the turnpike into Matfield Green. Richard Myer suggested we try an alternative route and everyone agreed. Sadly, the cattle crossing was blocked by barbed wire that I just barely missed, sliding up with both wheels locked up. I don’t think you could have slid a dollar between my tire and the wire. It had been strung low and blended into the scenery. Note to self: watch the trail and not the map. LOL…

We doubled back and started past many herds of cattle and cattle guards. (Note: if your steak is a little tough in the coming weeks, we don’t know anything about that.) Thomas Rogers followed me as we made a pretty good pace on one of the more majestic roads I’ve ever traveled on in the Flint Hills. Ironically, I had taken a right when I should have gone left. It took Richard Myer and his BMW to catch us. Note to self: Come back and ride this road to Hamilton. Repeat often. We all agreed it was an amazing ride but had to get back to the others. We found them and the other patrols crowding Texaco Hill. I could see that no one wanted to stop so we took off for Matfield Green. We didn’t really stop until we made it to Cassody for lunch, riding the last bit on tarmac.

It was time for gas and grub. One of the Rogers brothers rode into Cassody to confirm the hideous rumor that the café was closed for good. The gas station had already told us the buffet was no more. Here’s where my group really shined – everyone had had such a good time so far they were willing to piece together a meal from what they could find in the gas station! As we started to go back in to look, Thomas was sitting by the door eating what looked like a rather amazing sloppy joe with chips and a drink. He said there was a buffet line inside, contrary to the kid behind the counter’s opinion. We ate like kings!

A quick look at the map and we decided to make the 777 ranch run South. I was not finished leading everyone astray and took us all for a high speed run down a two track road that dumped out at asphalt. William Brentling’s GPS noted we had passed dozens of Geocaches. No one wanted to risk the chiggers. The GPS would later come back as a big help over Phil’s loaned map. We turned around and followed the right road through the 777 with a nice break at a low water bridge. The sky tried to rain on us at that point and we just laughed. We were having a great day! The water in the stream was clean and running well.

We continued past the main ranch complex further south until we ended up at US 54. More examining of Phil’s map convinced us that more fun could be found on the south side of 54. We took off and explored the oil roads in hopes of finding passage further south. Each time we were met with rejection in the form of “No Hunting” signs on metal gates. We ended up several miles west of our original crossing point and took a break under the shade of a group of trees on the edge of 54. Reece was nearby so we took a look and yes, scared a few more cattle. Not our fault! Again. The southern sky looked the most ominous it had been all day. We even noticed a lightning strike in the distance but kept riding. We decided to flirt with the rain line and see how close we could get while heading back to Eureka Lake. It went very well until we zig zagged one too many times south. The sky opened up on us and the high speed race back to town was on!

We pulled into Eureka from the south just a couple of blocks from the hotel. Half of us peeled off for dry clothes while the others kept going north for the lake. 20 minutes later and it was all over but none of us could stop grinning. It had been a great day to ride! Plus, most of the dust from earlier had been washed clean off.
My thanks to the best group of guys to ride with! Great attitudes and adventure spirit, too! Looking forward to next year’s intermediate ride which will be amazing…we’re already planning it out! Keep in touch and we’ll schedule pre-rides as soon as time allows.

Thanks!
'73 Honda TL125
'75 Honda TL125
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hodakaharold

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: great time, fun ride Reply with quote

Had a fun time at this years stampede,,,,what a seasoned group of riders!!, I have been riding 42 years since I was 14 years old yet I felt like a kid with this bunch.......this group could haul the mail when it needed to,,,,,several had motocross and hare scrambles experience,,,,one discussed his fun at track days at Heartland Park in Topeka,,,I felt lucky to keep up. Great fun and adventure!
will_kc
Very Active Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a fun time also! There is nothing like a good group of seasoned riders that don't care where they end up. The storm definitely cut the day short. I think we could have easily covered 250 miles that day.

The old relic GPS came in handy again (Garmin Map60s)!
All the GeoCaches we passed can be found at geocaching.com

Just a few pics.

https://picasaweb.google.com/klr650Will/Eureka201302?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNfMqNSbmsbORw&feat=directlink
Grooster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how I missed the photo link - good stuff! Did you get any GoPro video, too?

Give me a shout soon and we'll plan some rides!
'73 Honda TL125
'75 Honda TL125
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> 2013 Flint Hills Stampede - June 14-16, 2013 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: