Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index Backroads Touring - Kansas
Coordinate Rides & Share Information

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ride Reports

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> 2014 Flint Hills Stampede - May 30 - June 1, 2014
View previous topic :: View next topic  
will_kc
Very Active Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Ride Reports Reply with quote

Figured I would get this done before the work week got started. Thanks everyone for the good time.

Photo link
https://plus.google.com/photos/108697466366396136045/albums/6020103964680872881?authkey=CPGogpumj5bYtwE

Trip Report - Intermediate Ride - Total miles 233

William Brentlinger (Kaw KLR650 - Leader), Arthur Gaddy (BMW 1150 GS), Dewayn Gaddy (Suzuki DR650) , David Goza (Kaw KLR650), Lee Hymer (Kaw Super Sherpa), Jay Ingalls (Yamaha WR250R), John Melton (Honda XL500), Wyatt Melton (Honda XR400), Thomas Rogers(Honda XR650), Harold Rogers (Honda XR650R), Gary Russell (Kaw KLR650), Douglas Scherich (Triumph Tiger),Roger Stuth (SP?) (Kaw KLR650)

The day started off with the usual getting organized and running into a private road right off the bat. After making a correction of course, the roads were almost perfect for the remainder of the ride. The group did a slow ride of Fall River Lake and the dam. Next was Elk Falls and a nice ride through the BSA Quivira Camp. Sedan was the gas and lunch stop. The group picked up Jay Ingalls, who had arrived late to Eureka and miraculously ran into our group. After Lunch, the group cruised the trials competition heading out of town to Peru. Next stop was the Oklahoma border for a quick photo shoot next to the state welcome sign. After riding US 99 south for a few miles, a quick turn off put the group at the base of Artillery hill and back north into Kansas. Elgin was our next photo stop and break point. The group proceeded north to Cedar Vale where the small tank bikes gassed up one more time before heading toward Grenola. A few miles north the group came to a screeching halt at a water hazard. Two bikes did not make it past the moss patch. Once everyone climbed back into their saddles, the wind farm south of Beaumont was the next stop. At Beaumont the group was treated to a row of Stearman Model 75s all in a pretty row. Leaving Beaumont the group somehow became separated with 4 riders taking the highway back to Eureka. The remainder of the group road Temple Knoll minimum maintenance roads into Reece and on to finish at Eureka.

I hope everyone had a good time and enjoyed the route!

Bill, Will or any other name you can think of.
MizzouMike
Quiet Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Photos from the scenic ride Reply with quote

Thanks to all the crew for a great time! This was my first stampede, and I had a great time. I have posted my photos here:

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/mspickelmier/library/Flint%20Hills%20Stampede%202014

I made the ride to Teeter Rock and into Cassoday for breakfast on Sunday.
Abe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Pics
Dualsportdude

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Took some Gopro footage of Ride to Artillary Hill Ok. Reply with quote

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9b7yv37ypxmzdys/GOPR0007.MP4

Last edited by Dualsportdude on Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
phil denk
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Scenic Ride Reply with quote

Photo link...
https://plus.google.com/photos/111855605138072070912/albums/6020509028842912097?authkey=CJuzns3er43wOg

Ride Report - Scenic Ride - App. 170 miles

Phil Denk (KLR 650 - Ride Leader), Dave Woodward (XR650L - Wingman), RD Woolsey (KLR 650 - Sweep Rider), Peter Coates (F650GS), Stuart Thorn (DL 650), Jim Pratt (990 Adv), Brent Gibson (DRZ 400), Christopher Shaffer (KLR 650), Randy Ruark (DRZ 400), Michael Spickelmier (KLR 650), Jacob Roby (KLR 650), Jay & Sheri Rutherford (XT 250), Russell Vaught (DL 650), Ronald Thomas (XR650L), Rick Noller (TW200), Pete Schroeppel (KLX 250S).

After the traditional parade through downtown Eureka we headed west to Reese Road. Conditions were fine until we reached the south end where we encountered a bit of muck. Thanks to the efforts of my group all made it through in fine fashion with only a short delay. Riding south and east we arrived at Beaumont for a short break and then south into the wind farm. Heading east we rode the section roads towards Howard. As is standard operating procedure we had a flat. It was apparently Rick's turn. Fortunately, Rick carries a full tool kit and with the help of my faithful sweep RD the situation was resolved in good time.

Our intention was to have lunch at Toot's in Howard but thanks to the Boy Scouts and another group of riders (who shall remain nameless) we had an extended meal period. Riding southeast we stopped at Elk Falls for a short walk around and photos. The next section of our ride turned into a bit of a slog. As we went north and east to get to Fall River we came across closed roads, disappearing roads and some of the deepest and roughest gravel I have ever seen. Thanks to the riding ability and determination of the group we made Fall River and took a break for drinks and recuperation.

Our final leg was a loop through Fall River State Park and then north on the section roads to Eureka.

I want to thank all who had the courage and perseverance to ride with me and I apologize for not being better prepared. My group did a great job through some trying conditions and I hope to see you all again next year.

Aside: Big thanks to Dave and RD, you guys rock !

Note: Ken, you were missed buddy...hope you're doing o.k.............
kaw4scute
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, you led well, thanks!!

FYI, Peter was the third man of the flat fixin' trio. Thanks for jumping in to help!!

Thanks to all the good co-riders, we had a great (BIG) group for this Stampede ride.

Take care all, RD

'06 KLR 650- SOLD!!
'12 KLR 650-Blue/White/Black
Woody469
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our leader!!

Untitled by woody469, on Flickr

Phil, as always it was a pleasure to ride with you all 3 days! Even without a real "plan" your rides are always an adventure. Our group may have been the biggest I've ever ridden backroads with and it was really a pleasure to meet and ride with each and every one of you! We did encounter some trying roads and conditions but hey, that's why it's called Adventure riding right?

As Phil said, Ken you were missed on Saturday for sure and I too hope your doing well, it was a hoot riding and chatting with you Thursday and Friday!

Let's start getting the dates down for next year!! Razz Cool
1981 Honda CB900F (Classic Beauty)
Roger Baugh
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Intermediate Ride Report ... Reply with quote

It seems like I'm always a day late and a dollar short these days ... but with valiant effort, here's my ride report.

... a few shots when I was not watching over the flock

We were off on Saturday morning by 8:15 am .... thanks to the folks from the CMA who made sure we were fully fueled with some fine vittles! Applause

Members of this intrepid patrol included: Khalid Ebrahim - Wichita - KTM LC640, Bruce Leach - Wichita - WR250R, Phil Oelke - Hillsboro - KLR650, Justin Watters - Wichita - KLR650, Robert Peters - Meeker, OK - Super Tenere, Tom Woodward - Liberty, MO - KTM LC4e, Duane Quinn - F800GS, George Stout - McPherson - Super Tenere, William Gwynn - Lyons - KLR650, Jeremy Duerksen - Hillsboro - XR650R, Don Feldt - Wichita - KLR650, Jason Murray - Wichita - Super Tenere, Richard Myer - Eureka - BMW 1150GR, and Roger Baugh - Wichita - KLX250S. Am missing one name, our DR650 rider from Topeka ...

We rolled south out of Eureka, and had perfect weather. Overcast, cool, and low lying fog in places. Woo-hoo! The curse of the heat of past years was finally lifted.

First major stop was Beaumont, followed by Howard, Elk Falls, Sedan, and then Elgin.

No mechanical issues, no mishaps. We rode like no one was watching!

Let's Ride .... Again! R Cool ger

Nil Carborundum Illegitimi

'07 KLX250S - Grasshopper
'93 CB750 - Black Stallion
oklahomaklr
Infrequent Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was our first time riding the stampede. We had fun. It seems like the flint hills area is somewhat like our Osage county is here. It was nice having a person that knows the area lead us around. Here are a few pictures i took, and a video i did. I missed a bunch of good stuff because of running out of batteries (i brought 3) but this is what i ended up with.

Click for video, and click thumbnail for larger photo
www.youtube.com/watch?v=b17ZbyljPIU

Roger Baugh
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oklahomaKLR wrote:
Here are a few pictures i took, and a video i did.

Got a kick out of watching the video ..... thanks for sharing! Applause

Nil Carborundum Illegitimi

'07 KLX250S - Grasshopper
'93 CB750 - Black Stallion
Woody469
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for posting that, very cool!
1981 Honda CB900F (Classic Beauty)
Savage
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OklahomaKLR - How did you push that guy over with 1 finger at 2:14? You have the power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnAu1_SCqTk
oklahomaklr
Infrequent Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savage wrote:
OklahomaKLR - How did you push that guy over with 1 finger at 2:14? You have the power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnAu1_SCqTk

I've been asked about that a couple times now. He had something hanging under the bike and i said "hey there is something hanging under that bike" then he fell over. It just kinda worked out.
Grooster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like everyone took a Southern route this year and to great success judging from the ride reports. I wouldn't trade my experience the same weekend in Sedan for the Kansas MotoTrials National event but I surely would have enjoyed riding with Bill\Will's group! Sounds like a Boarder Run pre-ride to me!

Phil, your group looked like a hoot, too. Very Happy Sorry to hear that Ken didn't make it.

Hope everyone who stopped by the mototrial on Indian Road East of Sedan was treated well and enjoyed the event. It was epic! You can see a recap of the trial at mototrials.com, too.

Hope to see everyone on the trail soon!

Greg
'73 Honda TL125
'75 Honda TL125
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> 2014 Flint Hills Stampede - May 30 - June 1, 2014 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: