Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index Backroads Touring - Kansas
Coordinate Rides & Share Information

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Southern Scenic Ride

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> 2016 Flint Hills Stampede - Sept. 10-11, 2016
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg Mitchell
Hyper Active Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Southern Scenic Ride Reply with quote

I was a last minute sub. ride leader. Didn't really have a planned ride, but I know the area well enough to see some neat areas.
Ride leader- Greg Mitchell KTM 950 Adventure
Expert back-up-Quinton Dodds Kawasaki KLX 300
New Rider-Matt Waxman KLR 650
My patient Sweeper- Lee Hymer Kawasaki KL 250 Sherpa

We left Council Grove and headed towards the Dunlap road by way of gravel to the Kaw ceremonial grounds southeast of C.G. Took pavement and gravel roads over to Kahola Lake to see the waterfall. It was running, but not fully!! After promising my guys I would not take them down muddy min. maint. roads, I couldn't resist the roller coaster road n.w. of the lake. A little muddy at the bottom of the hills, but very scenic. Matts bike took a nap in a big sunflower patch. Left there on a (usually good) gravel road and ran into some stretches of mud that left Lees low fendered Sherpas front wheel clogged and not turning!! Got that mess straightened out and headed towards Cottonwood Falls for lunch at Kellers Wine and Feed! Excellent food and good hospitality. After a great lunch, we rode to Chase Co. State Lake for a quick tour, then on to Diamond Springs road to Wiltse. We then took a few min. maint. roads east towards Canning Creek. Managed to find a couple more mud holes on the way, one was only a mile from the campground, and Matt had a muddy get off right in the middle of the mud. Sorry Matt, but for a newbie you did really well, you just need more confidence and some knobbies and you will do well!! All in all it was a great day, and I really enjoyed getting to know my fellow explorers!! A special thanks for Lee going out of his way to help Matt get home!! A great group of guys to ride with!! Let's do it again sometime!! Laughing I hope Quinton will post some pics and videos, cause I an not very good at that! Laughing

1989 Transalp "Beauty"
2005 KTM 950 Adventure "Beast"
Savage
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil informed me Greg was coming and was going South, so I planned to follow him as long as he wasn't planning on hitting any mile-long mud roads. I had never met Greg before, so it was nice to meet him and ride with a "new" guy.
We stuck to perfectly tacky roads most of the time. Wet, no dust, the kind you can rip around the corner and not have to worry about your front time washing out. I would have preferred more technical roads but all the rain limited that. It was nice to ride roads that I hadn't ridden before.
Once I literally laughed inside my helmet. We were cruising along at 55mph going down a hill and we came across a strip of a rocky ledge and all of a sudden I see a tire throw gravel, a small power wheelie, and smell pure gas. It was awesome!

It was awesome riding in perfect conditions and temperatures! Hanging out around the grill afterwards was icing on the cake. It was a great time! Here's some of the pics.

Kahola lake dam

Somewhat muddy road

I assume the low fender has been removed

Lunch!

Some of our dinner!

Phil & Bob

Last edited by Savage on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Savage
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After sifting through hours and hours of video I went through and clipped out the best video from the day. I tried to cut it all down as much as I could so people don't get bored watching the boring stuff. This is what I came up with and I think it best represents our day.
Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y38fIjnJuCg
Greg Mitchell
Hyper Active Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ol' Savage sure gave me a hard time about being the only non-Kawasaki rider in the group. I told him KTM stands for Kawasaki Team Mate!! I don't think he believed me. Oh, and I apologize to Lee Hymer for not stopping in Hymer KS. on the Diamond Springs road. Should have stopped for a picture. Next time!!!

1989 Transalp "Beauty"
Savage
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's the real video that I worked hard to cut down as much as I could so as to not be too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jozmH7i0dQU
Greg Mitchell
Hyper Active Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Video Quinton!! Lots of good shots of the mighty KTM!! lol

1989 Transalp "Beauty"
asis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the full vid I seen on adventure rider....thx for reposting....Greg you beast!!! There is no I in team LOL!

I have my new chain and my sprockets should be in tomorrow, so I hope to get some more riding in this season still.

Looked like a great day and great group, hope to hook up before they all go in storage....
asis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savage wrote:
After sifting through hours and hours of video I went through and clipped out the best video from the day. I tried to cut it all down as much as I could so people don't get bored watching the boring stuff. This is what I came up with and I think it best represents our day.
Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y38fIjnJuCg

still the best clip Wink
asis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh btw Great Song choice! Laughing
Mr. Clean
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savage wrote:
It was awesome riding in perfect conditions and temperatures! Hanging out around the grill afterwards was icing on the cake. It was a great time! Here's some of the pics.

Kahola lake dam

Somewhat muddy road

I assume the low fender has been removed

Lunch!

Some of our dinner!

Phil & Bob

The essence of a great ride experience ... and you captured it well!

Thanks ... mc Cool

2007 - KLX250S - Grasshopper
1993 - CB750 - Black Stallion
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> 2016 Flint Hills Stampede - Sept. 10-11, 2016 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: