Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index Backroads Touring - Kansas
Coordinate Rides & Share Information

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fork Seal Replacement

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> Helmets, Tires, GPS, et al ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davebrownzzzzzzz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Fork Seal Replacement Reply with quote

During the recent cold spell, snow and all, I had to pull my car into the garage. After I pulled it back out, I was horrified to find red fluid all over the floor. I immediatly began looking for the leaking transmission fluid from the car, alas it was the forks of my KLR hemoraging red fluid.

Anybody experienced in the art of changing seals that can give a quick description of the process that doesn't require complete dissassembly of the fork assembly? The Clymer book seems to require complete disassembly. I would think one could pick the old ones out and insert new ones into it using a special tool of some sort. Any particular brand or source of seals that work better than the others?
kingrider
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning,
As it happens, I blew out a fork seal last fall in Arkansas. I read the Clymer manual and thought, "you've got to be kidding!" I went onto the ADVRider website and did a little snooping around. What I found was this:
Be sure to drain the fluid out of it and loosen the top cap but you don't need to completely remove it. It'll just be easier to loosen while it's bolted into the triple tree. Once it's drained and off the bike be sure the boot is off and the retaining clip are out of the lower tube. Then begin to pressurize the tube with air. I used a basic bicycle pump. At some point, and it didn't take a lot of pressure, the seal will pop out of the lower tube. You want to be sure you have a rag wrapped around the top of the lower leg. When that seal pops out there will be some residual oil in there that will come out with it and all over anythig in the way!
I oiled up a piece of plastic wrap to put over the top of the tube before I put the new seal down over the top edge of the fork tube. Just a preventative caution to protect the new seal. Then seat the seal and replace the retaining clip. Reinstall everything and it SHOULD be good to go.
Let us know if it works.

2015 KTM 690R
2017 FLTRU
phil denk
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Fork seals.......... Reply with quote

A piece of one and one half inch plastic pipe makes a good seal driver...
kingrider
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I improvised a driver of sorts in my shop then read about the PVC pipe and thought well duh! Embarassed

All in all it went pretty easy.

2015 KTM 690R
2017 FLTRU
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> Helmets, Tires, GPS, et al ... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: