Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index Backroads Touring - Kansas
Coordinate Rides & Share Information

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tires for the Gypsum Hills ride.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> Helmets, Tires, GPS, et al ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a45automan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Tires for the Gypsum Hills ride. Reply with quote

Hello,
I am new to BTK and I am hoping that the Gypsum Hills ride will be my first of many. I purchased a used KLR650 in good shape, it came with next to new Avon Gripsters on it. The question I have: how will these tires hold up on the sandy soil in the Gypsum Hills? Do I need a new set of knobbies? I have read good reviews on Mefo and Dunlop D-606. I want to enjoy this ride and not have to worry about how my bike handles. If the gripsters are good, great, if anyone believes I maybe in for anything less than an enjoyable ride, please speak up.
Thanks and I look forward to your feedback.
Mr. Clean
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tires for the Gypsum Hills ride. Reply with quote

a45automan wrote:
Hello,
I am new to BTK and I am hoping that the Gypsum Hills ride will be my first of many. I purchased a used KLR650 in good shape, it came with next to new Avon Gripsters on it. The question I have: how will these tires hold up on the sandy soil in the Gypsum Hills? Do I need a new set of knobbies? I have read good reviews on Mefo and Dunlop D-606. I want to enjoy this ride and not have to worry about how my bike handles. If the gripsters are good, great, if anyone believes I maybe in for anything less than an enjoyable ride, please speak up.
Thanks and I look forward to your feedback.

Welcome to the group!

Am recommending a "no-go" for Gypsum Hills at this time because of probable deep sand most of the route. In those conditions, tires are just one factor .... bike weight, rider skill, etc. are just as important a consideration.

As far as tires, I rode a KLR for about eight seasons and opted for a 50/50 type of tire on it rather than a knobby. I rode as many highway miles to get to a ride as I did off-pavement, so opted for a tire that would last a season (5-6k miles), and was fairly quiet and smooth for those 300-500 pavement mile days. A good number of KLR riders have run Gripsters and have been pleased with the overall performance. Like most 50/50 tires, they are a decent balance for mixed riding environments, they're just not a sand or mud tire.

Best ... mc Cool

2007 - KLX250S - Grasshopper
1993 - CB750 - Black Stallion
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> Helmets, Tires, GPS, et al ... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: