Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index Backroads Touring - Kansas
Coordinate Rides & Share Information

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tires for KLR650 - 2008
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> Helmets, Tires, GPS, et al ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drsogr
Very Active Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Tires for KLR650 - 2008 Reply with quote

I am looking at getting a new rear tire for my KLR650. I am torn about what type of tire to get for the bike. I want to ride the backroads of Kansas, but I also use this bike for a commuter. What does everyone typically use? The bike came with a Pirelli Scorpion S/T which is 95% street / 5% off-road tire. I am currently looking at the Shinko 705 tire, however I am unsure if it will be agressive enough to handle the backroads? I am also looking at the Dunlop 606, however it does not look like it will last as long.

Should the front tire be replaced as well? Its in good shape, but not very aggressive. It is important to have a more aggressive front tire?
Ken Clifford
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Tires Reply with quote

I'm fond of Continental TKC.
2000 DR650
316-992-5678
drsogr
Very Active Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken...that give me another option to look at.
kaw4scute
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my first set of Shinko E-705 Trail Masters and like them just fine so far. Thats after two sets of MEFO's that I liked real well also. But they priced themselves right out of my price range. Tires, sooo many choices. Take care, RD

'06 KLR 650- SOLD!!
'12 KLR 650-Blue/White/Black
Bo_9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you lean to a more knobby tire the Dunlop 908 is outstanding and lasted about 3k miles on my KTM640, too much of that was highway miles.
Likewise the Metzler KarooMCE (not the traveler) lasted about the same while including Hwy400 to Colorado from Pittsburg, KS and back.

KTM640A
Gordon
Hyper Active Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: tire Reply with quote

the kendra 270 is a 50/50 tire, I get about 5000 out of the back and 7500 on the front. I have had good luck through 5- 6 rears at least, tough tire, and priced on the cheaper side. However, the side knobs do not do very well if you like to corner much on warm days, on asphalt. Also on the very, rare occassion when I was in a city of say 50,000 plus on rainy days, it can be slick when pulling up to traffic lights. The dripped oil and stuff makes intersections slick I think. I am 75% on non pavement at least most on the time.
Ride Safe,
2007 KLR
Savage
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon - Is "Kendra" making tires now? Laughing j/k Next go around you should try the shinko 244's. Similar tread but I like the tire better. Little firmer and the side knobs don't flop on you at all.

I like the 705's as well. They handle the gravel much better than I expected them too.
drsogr
Very Active Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for chiming in guys. I definitely see a lot more pavement than I like. I have been using the bike for commuting and a little fun on the weekends. I think I am going to give the Shinko 705's a shot. They seem to be a good mix for what I need!
Savage
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning to keep my KLR on the asphalt more than gravel so I went with the 705's. But the tires and bike handle the gravel so well I do at least 50/50 riding. Zero complaints.
To lower the highway rpms a tad bit I went with the 130/90 instead of the 80. So happy with it I have a fresh rear ready to go, but I need to wear this one out first.
Here's some pics if it helps any.

Beside the little 270 it replaced

244 on the 300

hodakaharold

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about giving the Shinko 705's a shot on my XR, been using the Kenda K270 for several years but they don't wear very well for my 70/30 gravel vs a little pavement riding. Any updates or thoughts on the Shinko's???
Savage
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'rrrre Grrrreat!
I gave the 244's a quick workout today, 705's last weekend. If you do more gravel than asphalt I think I'd suggest the 244. They are much more stable than the 270's. If you do any mud I would definately get the 244 over the 705.
kaw4scute
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 3145 miles on my 705's with no problems. They handle all my conservative riding just fine. So far, I'd get them again. Take care, RD

'06 KLR 650- SOLD!!
'12 KLR 650-Blue/White/Black
moriver
Quiet Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Kenda K270 Reply with quote

I love my Kenda. Its an old post but someone might be able to get something from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AhpBL7C3R8

2008 KLR 650
Grooster

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running Avon Distenzas front and rear, but not by choice as that's what the bike had on it when I bought it with 7300 miles on it. They work VERY well on pavement and in the wet. Not so great in dirt, awful in any kind of wet dirt.

I have the usual predicament - finding the right set of tires to ride dirt roads aggressively with as well as pavement. I like meaty tires, too. The last thing I want is a front tire that goes spastic on loose gravel roads.

What say ye? I'm ready to spend some cash!
'73 Honda TL125
'75 Honda TL125
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
phil denk
Uber Active Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Spastic...!?! Reply with quote

Cheap alternative...Kenda 270's

The real deal...Dunlop 606's !

I wouldn't try road racing on wet pavement with these but they are very durable and provide good grip in just about any conditions...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Backroads Touring - Kansas Forum Index -> Helmets, Tires, GPS, et al ... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: